soapbox by wistia tutorial

Soapbox by Wistia was only launched – a gratis Google Chrome extension that enables you lot to quickly and hands record, edit, and share videos right within your browser.

Click here to install Soapbox

I've been wanting a tool like this for a while. And I've really appreciated Wistia's way and learning library over the years.I look up to them! So information technology seems similar it could be the perfect tool for me.

In this commodity, I'll share the pros and cons of the first version of Soapbox, how to use it, and what I tin see myself using it for.

How to Use Discourse past Wistia

Watch the video in a higher place for a stride-by-step tutorial on using Soapbox by Wistia.

Pros of Soapbox by Wistia

  • Chop-chop tape videos with a couple clicks
  • It'south free!
  • You can edit videos right inside your browser besides
  • Hands share your video via a link or clickable thumbnail
  • Easily change tape settings such every bit quality and microphone/webcam input

Cons of Soapbox by Wistia

I'm writing this but a few days afterward the launch of Soapbox. Perhaps they'll update in the time to come!

  • Wistia doesn't allow y'all to download the videos***
  • Using Soapbox with tertiary party webcam setting tools is hard because the video preview closes if yous switch applications (i.east. going to the webcam settings app to adjust settings). So it makes information technology very hard to set your transmission settings.
  • You tin can't embed videos onto another website
  • Even though I love Google Chrome and apply it every bit my main browser, this may limit some people

*** I sympathize that Wistia probably wants to host the videos, and not allow you to download and upload direct to YouTube, Facebook, etc. This will probably encourage more than people to actually sign upwardly for Soapbox and use Wistia, including signing up for Wistia's video hosting services. But I hope that in a future update, we're able to download the videos.Heck, I'd even pay for that choice! Yous listening, Wistia team?!

How I'll Be Using Soapbox

udemy questions

1. Answering Q&A from Students

The main reason I wanted a screen recording / webcam recording tool similar this is to be able to quickly and easily record answers to student questions. As you tin encounter from the paradigm above,I become a lot of questions!

Answering questions via video could be quicker than writing out answers, plus my answers could be more than articulate than just text.I tin can respond to students past showing them how to do something, not just by telling.

2. Any Private Video

What do I mean by private videos? These are videos that I don't want to use toget views orabound my audience. Soapbox doesn't have view counts, subscribe options, or whatsoever sort of engagement from your viewers (liking & commenting).It's not YouTube. It's not Facebook Video.And that'southward okay.

But this means that I probably won't be using Soapbox to create tutorials like I put on YouTube and Facebook.

Private videos include sales pitches, videos that are a role of an email sequence, announcements.

3. Internal Company Videos

Equally I've been growing my business, I've been outsourcing a lot of work. Creating video tutorials every bit part of the on-boarding process. Before, I had to tape with my desktop application of selection – Screenflow – so upload to YouTube every bit an unlisted or private video.

Discourse is the perfect solution for me when I need to record training videos because it's like shooting fish in a barrel and quick. There are fewer steps than in my previous process.

Ready to use Soapbox by Wistia?

Outset, you gotta get better at making webcam videos. Learn how with my 100% free Webcam Videography course !

Desire the tools I use? I use the Logitech C920  currently, and a Heil PR40 microphone setup, which you tin observe on my Resources page . You can also see my cheap lighting setup there too. If you want a cheaper microphone, get the Blue Snowball .

Next, make sure you install the Soapbox by Wistia Google Chrome extension .

And start rocking and rolling!

Wistia has some other step-by-step tutorial that might help if you're however confused, plus some helpful FAQs if y'all're stuck.

Are you going to use Discourse by Wistia?

Let me know down below if you call back you'll use Soapbox to create quick and easy videos! I'd beloved to know how yous'll employ information technology.

Accept another tool that you like using?

If you lot know any other video recording tools that you lot like, please share with me and the Video School Online audience!

Take a beautiful mean solar day!

Phil